Smoke alarm warning following Dwygyfylchi firePosted 31/12/2015 09:42:11
A man had an extremely lucky escape from a fire in his Dwygyflylchi home this morning.
Crews from Conwy and Colwyn Bay were called to the property on Conwy Old Road, Dwygyfylchi, Penmaenmawr at 9.35hrs this morning, Thursday December 31.
The fire, on the ground floor of the property, was extinguished using two sets of breathing apparatus and one hose reel and is thought to have been caused by an electrical fault in an oil filled radiator.
There were no working smoke alarms in the property, but fortunately the resident was awoken by the sound of the fire.
The fire caused severe damage to the hallway and stairs and severe smoke damage throughout the property.
Jane Honey from North Wales Fire and Rescue Service, said: “This man was so lucky that the sound of the fire woke him – in many cases, without a smoke alarm to rouse them, the smoke renders those in a fire unconscious and they never wake up. Smoke alarms really do give an early warning signal which can save lives.
“As there were no smoke alarms present, the fire was well developed on arrival of our crews and caused substantial damage to the property.
“The fire was caused by an electrical fault in an oil filled radiator – regularly inspect your heater for damage. If it’s damaged, don’t use it.”
For further fire safety advice go to www.nwales-fireservice.org.uk
For advice on fire safety risks, North Wales Fire and Rescue Service offers free home safety checks. A member of the Service will visit your home, undertake a safety assessment, and if necessary, fit a new smoke alarm free of charge.
These checks are available free for all residents in North Wales. To request a check, phone our 24 hour hotline on 0800 169 1234, e-mail email@example.com , log on to our website www.nwales-fireservice.org.uk Please leave your contact details and a member of the Service will be in contact to arrange a convenient time to visit your home.