Warning regarding rubbish fires following fire in TrevorPosted 03/06/2019 11:34:30
A fire officer is highlighting the importance of considering safety first when undertaking any burning of waste after a small fire in Trevor, Wrexham spread to nearby grass and tyres.
Crews from Llangollen and Wrexham attended the fire at 08.37hrs this morning (Monday 3rd June) and tackled the fire which had spread from a small bonfire to foliage and a quantity of around 150 old tyres stored in the area.
Lee Williams from North Wales Fire and Rescue Service, said:
“With the summer approaching, many residents may be considering burning garden waste.
“However, controlled burns like this can easily get out of control and I’d ask everyone to keep safety in mind.
“When the weather is dry it is easy for fires to spread and burns can very quickly get out of control putting homes and the lives of crews and residents at risk. So please think safety first before you light up your garden waste this summer!”
If you are planning a controlled burn, then please follow the safety tips below:
- Call North Wales Fire and Rescue Service on 01931 522 006 to notify them of the intended burn – this will help prevent crews being called out needlessly.
- Site any bonfire well away from buildings, fences, trees and garden structures.
- Have a garden hose to hand in case the fire starts to get out of control.
- Don’t light a bonfire on a windy day, as it could flare up more than you expect.
- Be courteous to your neighbours – if you’re planning a substantial bonfire, let them know, and stay with it at all times to ensure that it remains safe.
- Never use flammable liquids such as petrol or paraffin to start a bonfire.
Advice for farmers / landowners:
The Heather and Grass Burning Code states that burning is allowed only between the 1st of October and the 31st of March in upland areas and the 1st of November and the 15th of March elsewhere: