Cooking safety warning and Get out, Stay out! appeal following Caernarfon fire

Posted

A Fire Officer is warning of the dangers of leaving cooking unattended and the importance of exiting the property and calling 999 immediately upon discovering a fire after a man was hospitalised for smoke inhalation.

 

Two crews of firefighters from Caernarfon were called to a flat at Llys yr Eifl, Caernarfon at 20.09hrs last night (Thursday 12th December) to tackle a fire caused by cooking left unattended.

 

The resident had attempted to tackle the fire himself before calling 999, and was transferred to hospital for treatment for smoke inhalation.

 

Paul Jenkinson, Head of Response for North Wales Fire and Rescue Service, said:

“Time and time again we attend house fires which have started in the kitchen – it is so easy to forget your cooking, especially if you are tired, distracted or have been drinking. However, the consequences can be devastating. 

 

"Our message is clear - never turn your back on your cooking, even for a minute.

 

“If you do have a fire in your home, our advice is to get out, stay out and call 999. Never tackle a fire yourself – unfortunately during this incident the resident had tried to tackle the fire, and as a result was hospitalised for smoke inhalation.

 

"An early warning of fire is key - the early warning provided by a smoke alarm can provide vital minutes to help you and your family escape unharmed. Ensure that you maintain your smoke alarm by testing it once a week.”

 

 Top tips for safety in the kitchen:

  • If you leave the room take the cooking off the heat
  • Don't use matches or lighters to light gas cookers. Spark devices are safer
  • Always make sure that any handles are turned away from the edge of the cooker
  • Keep the oven, hob and grill clean - a build up of fat and grease can easily catch fire
  • Never hang anything to dry above the cooker
  • Take care if you are wearing loose clothing as it can easily catch fire
  • When you've finished cooking make sure everything is turned off
  • Turn off electrical appliances when they are not being used
  • Never use a chip pan - use a thermostatically controlled deep far fryer
  • Never cook after drinking- get a takeaway instead
  • Get fitted with smoke alarms - they are free of charge and could save your life.

 

Twitter Facebook YouTube Instagram

Thank you for your email address

We will shortly provide you with the appropriate information.

Done

Thank you for your request

Done