House fire in Bagillt

Posted 28/12/2019 14:56:02

A Fire Officer is highlighting the dangers of leaving cooking unattended following a fire in a house in Bagillt last night.

Fire crews from Holywell and Flint were called to a kitchen fire at Bron y Wern, Bagillt at 10.42pm last night (Friday 27th December).

The fire was caused by cooking left unattended and resulted in 50% smoke damage to the property and 20% fire damage to the kitchen. The incident was brought under control by midnight,

Justin Evans, Head of Community Safety, said: “Time and time again we attend house fires which have started in the kitchen – it is so easy to forget cooking, especially if you are tired, distracted or have been drinking. However, the consequences can be devastating. 

"Our message is clear - never turn your back on your cooking, even for a minute. Leaving any cooking, but especially a chip pan, unattended for any length of time can have disastrous results.

“Over the Christmas period homes have more paper, packaging and other items around and we would encourage people to keep their exit route clear and plan your escape route in the event of an emergency.

"Smoke alarms save lives. The early warning provided by a smoke alarm can provide vital minutes to help you escape unharmed. Ensure that you maintain your smoke alarm by testing it once a week.”

Twitter Facebook YouTube Instagram

Thank you for your email address

We will shortly provide you with the appropriate information.

Done

Thank you for your request

Done