Pilot with Adra to protect residents from cooking firesPosted
North Wales Fire and Rescue Service and North Wales’ largest social housing provider, Adra, are working together on a pilot which has seen specialist sensors being fitted which help prevent cooking fires.
Dave Evans, Partnerships Manager for Gwynedd and Môn, North Wales Fire and Rescue Service, explained: “Cooking remains the top cause of fires in the home – and the majority of these fires are caused by cooking left unattended.
“The Stoveguard technology which has been fitted as part of a pilot with Adra is fixed within the cooking unit – the sensors measure excessive temperatures and rate of temperature change. Once the Stoveguard detects an alarm signal it turns off the cooker, cutting off power before the fire ignites.
“We’re thrilled to be working in partnership with Adra on this pilot to help protect people in their homes, which could help safeguard their potentially vulnerable tenants.
“We believe that Adra are the first housing association in North Wales to be utilising this new technology, and we’d encourage others to consider installing it too.
“We’d advise everyone to take care in the kitchen and avoid leaving their cooking unattended, as well as not drinking and cooking. A working smoke alarm is essential to help alert you and your family in the event of a cooking fire or any other fire in your home – please take the time to check your alarms are working by testing them weekly.”
Celfyn Evans, Fire Safety Compliance Officer for Adra, said: “The safety of our tenants from fires in the home is of paramount importance to us.
“Given that half of all fires in the home start in the kitchen, we’re pleased to team up with North Wales Fire and Rescue Service using the latest Stoveguard technology. It will help keep some of our most vulnerable tenants who have had previous fires in their homes safe. It also gives them peace of mind around safety whilst using their cooking appliances.”