Lucky escape after smoke alarm alerts elderly couple to a fire in their Benllech homePosted
A Fire Officer is reminding residents of the importance of smoke alarms after an elderly couple were able to escape unharmed from a fire in their Benllech home in the early hours of this morning.
The detectors, fitted by North Wales Fire and Rescue Service staff, activated after a fire broke out in the utility room of the property and woke the residents who were asleep in bed.
Crews from Benllech and Llangefni were called to the property at Dolafon, Benllech at 01.35hrs this morning (Monday 12th October) and used one hose reel to extinguish the fire. The residents were checked over by staff from the Welsh Ambulance NHS Trust at the scene but were confirmed to be uninjured.
Dave Greene from North Wales Fire and Rescue Service, said: ““This incident highlights the importance of working smoke alarms – if the alarm had not roused them, the consequences could have been fatal.
“Also, the fact that the couple closed the internal door to the utility room helped to reduce fire spread in the property, restricting severe fire damage to the utility room only. As part of a nightime routine, we encourage residents to close all internal doors before going to bed.
“The fire involved the upright fridge freezer in the utility room, with heat from the back of the appliance igniting items which had fallen behind. It’s important to keep electrical appliances clear of combustibles and other items that restrict their natural cooling methods, leading to overheating and ignition.
“Our advice is to be as prepared as possible in the event of fire, by ensuring that working smoke alarms are fitted in your home and that you have clear escape routes to enable you and your family to exit your home as quickly as possible.
“This incident is a clear example of how smoke alarms can save lives – and I would appeal to all residents to ensure their smoke alarms and those of friends and family members are working by testing them weekly.”