- Tel: 01691 772497
Chirk is a Retained Duty System (RDS) station.
RDS firefighters are skilled individuals who do ordinary jobs and offer evening, daytime and/or weekend cover.
Geographical Area covered:
The first call area for Chirk takes in the border from Chirk all the way down to theGlynCeiriogValley toLlanarmonDC and the Mountains immediately beyond those lanes. Take in the northern side of that Valley and head back on a line that is halfway between the A5 and Ceiriog river back to Froncysyllte. From here draw a line which goes northeast through the bottom of Cefn Mawr, includes Newbridge and along the River Dee to theShropshire border between St Martins and Overton.
Sites of Risk:
Other Industrial units
Heritage properties - Brinkynalt Hall and Chirk Castle
The story of Chirk's history, as far as fire fighting goes, started way back on 1st December 1940 when the first band of volunteers was enrolled by the Ceiriog Rural District Council as part of the war time auxiliary fire service.
The first headquarters were in the old stables at the 'Mount'. Many people may know it better nowadays as 'Richmond Upholstery',Trevor Road, Nr. St. Mary's Church.
Under the Officer in Charge the Rev Meirion Owen of Tregeiriog, volunteers attended Oswestry Fire Station and knowledge gained by them was passed on during the following week to the rest of the personnel.
Up to this time, there was no standard in equipment so great difficulty was found when a Brigade went to assist in another area. The Government decided to nationalise the fire brigades, hence on 18th October 1941 the National Fire Service was founded.
In 1943 with the increase in the number of volunteers at the 'Mount' station it was decided that a site should be found for a new station. A piece of land to the rear of the Welsh Chapel at Longfield, Collier Roadwas found to be an ideal patch. The first construction was to be that of a hut housing an office, equipment room, lecture room, toilet and coal store.
Alongside was built a brick building consisting of a two bay appliance room with control room and female quarters at the rear. A length of railway track from the abandoned Glyn Valley Railway system was used as a lintel above the fire doors and along with the hand made windows and doors these can still all be seen intact today.
The station moved to its current location in October 1988.
Work in the community:
Chirk Fire Station runs a very popular Young Firefighters Association branch and hosts open days as well as visits from local schools and groups.